Your Questions


We use Xylitol, a natural, healthy low GI sweetener derived from birch sap. All our products are therefore suitable for use by diabetics,

All our products are suitable for use by most diabetics, but if in doubt, please check with your physician or dietician. They are perfect for “Banters” and any other healthy, lo-carb eating plans as well.

Wherever possible, we use only natural ingredients, (although in some instances we may need to use nature-identical if no natural alternative is available). Because of this, you may experience for example, colour fading on certain flavours, as the natural colourants we use do not have the same colour-fastness or light-fastness properties as artificial colourants. However, the product would still be perfectly safe for consumption.

Due to the lack of preservatives, our product needs to be kept in a cool, dark place, and should last 6-9 months under these conditions.

Despite the popular myth that glass is greener, the cost to manufacture, transport, recycle and repackage glass is way higher, both in monetary terms and carbon-footprint, than plastic. PET is endlessly recyclable, at a fraction of the carbon footprint and cost of glass, and once it reaches the end of its recycling life, it can be down-cycled into a myriad of other uses. Glass takes a huge amount of energy to re-use (think sorting returns, washing and sterilising, re-transported to individual manufacturers, higher weight therefore higher transport costs etc) and can also only be recycled into glass.

We use a number of natural or nature-identical colourants and extracts such as carmine, annatto, lycopene, elderberry, paprika and spirulina. On the subject of colourants and additives, although there are indeed a lot of bad E numbers out there, don’t be fooled by the “experts” who denigrate all E numbers unequivocally – most natural plant and animal extracts can have an E number ascribed to them, including common items, for instance E300 is vitamin C, E101 is vitamin B2, E948 is oxygen and E160c is paprika, as well as fine wines (contain E220), fine hams (E252) and caviar (E284).

There’s a time and place for both – South African tap water is only safe to drink depending on the finances and competency of the relevant municipality. Check with your local municipality regarding use of chemical and microbiological data, and the purification methods of tap water. When travelling locally, ask if the water is safe. If it smells and/or tastes of chlorine, then it is safe to drink; if not, drink with caution. Be cautious about water where municipalities are in financial difficulties or have management problems. Prevention is often better than cure so drink bottled water when in doubt.

SANBWA members are required to conserve their water sources, and reduce the industry’s impact on the environment. Their businesses are very water efficient. For example, the annual water usage by the total South African bottled water industry equates to 22,7 litres/second. This is just slightly more than that used by one – that’s one – golf course during a year. Expressed as a ratio, the local industry water usage benchmark is 1.8:1, and there are plants that achieve ratios of as low as 1.3 – 1.4 by recycling their bottle rinse water. In addition, all SANBWA members who bottle natural water and waters defined by origin are required to only bottle water extracted from a sustainable source, and this source is groundwater. South African legislation covering the use of groundwater is well developed, and is directed towards ensuring the sustainability of water resources, rather than depleting them. The total groundwater consumption by the bottled water industry (production volumes plus incidental use) in 2011 was 0.72 million m3. This equates to less than 0.015% of the country’s total groundwater usage.

Bottled water is packaged in bottles made from polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a by-product from oil manufacture. South Africa uses approximately 150 000 tons (1%) of the 15 million tons of PET resin made globally every year. Of this 150 000 tons, only 6 000 tons (4%) are used by the local bottled water industry; the remaining 96% is used to bottle other beverages and other products, including food. PET bottles are 100% recyclable and SANBWA members are involved in recycling initiatives. For example, they must establish a drop-off centre at their bottling facility and at distribution centres, they must include ‘please recycle’ on labelling, and they must adhere to documented policy regarding the use of suppliers who are members of Petco (PET recyclers). According to Petco, some 42% of PET bottles in South Africa are recycled and, of the bottles currently not recycled, only 1.4% are bottled water bottles. The remaining 98.6% are from other beverages. In addition, bottled water companies are reducing their environmental footprint by using lighter weight plastics. Bottles are weighing 27% less than 7 years ago. Alternative packaging solutions, such as recycled content, are also being developed and used.It stands to reason that, to be effective, efforts to reduce the environmental impact of packaging must focus on all consumer goods and not just target any one industry.

As mentioned above, SANBWA represents about 90% of the country’s bottled water manufacturers and demands they adhere to s stringent locally developed but globally benchmarked standard. This standard covers six key areas and provides for future improvements in management responsibility, quality management, hazard analysis, environmental stewardship, resource management and control of operations. Members are audited every year to ensure adherence to the standard. SANBWA also randomly samples member products and tests them for harmful agents. The SANBWA logo therefore acts as a seal of safety and quality.

Another safety concern for consumers is the industry’s exclusive use of PET. This, however, is approved as perfectly safe for food and beverage contact by regulatory agencies throughout the world. PET does not contain dioxins, or Bisphenol A, or DEHA, or endocrine disruptors. It is completely inert and the idea that it ‘leaches’ chemicals when frozen or heated is totally unsubstantiated by credible evidence and has become an urban myth (totally unfounded).

  • Safe drinking water.
  • Health consciousness: sugar and additive free versus sugary drinks.
  • Pleasant tasting and refreshing.
  • Convenience for on-the-go hydration.
  • Widely available at various price points and sizes.

SANBWA (November 2012) – Naturezone is not, at this date, a member of SANBWA.
SABS Food and Water Chemistry
CSIR Environmental Analytical Services

Contact Us

P.O.Box 10
Lions River 3260
KZN Midlands

Phone: +27 (0) 72 767 8416
Fax: +27 (0) 86 618 3385

Health Audits

FSA Audit
PnP Audit
Health Certificate
A PDF Reader is required to read these documents


CSIR Certificate
SABS Test Report
A PDF Reader is required to read these documents

Newsletter Signup

Sign up and get entered into our monthly draw and stand a chance of winning a NatureZone hamper!